PDA

View Full Version : Cam Gears, Tuning

Codsk8er
07-23-2005, 12:55 AM
Hey everyone. I think i am going to try to get some adjustable cam gears for my 92tsi awd. Does anyone have a recomendations as to which kind i should get. And also, does anyone have suggestions as to where i would be able to get my car tuned at once i have got them in? Thanks guys for the replies and the space to ask questions.

TheJackal
07-23-2005, 10:49 AM
List your mods and well tell you if its worth while. Why do you want them, do you know what they do?

Codsk8er
07-23-2005, 02:16 PM
List your mods and well tell you if its worth while. Why do you want them, do you know what they do?

Mods: TDO5H turbo, chrome hard intercooler piping coming from stock side mount, blitz bov, hks intake, hks electronic boost controll, turbo back exhaust but still have the cat in there, but i am putting a straight pipe, test pipe, to replace the cat, thats about it for hp adding mods, the rest is just gauges, turbo timer, coilovers, lowered, and i think that is it. And yeah i am pretty sure i know what cam gears are for.

Mirage
07-23-2005, 04:19 PM
The money is better spent elsewhere at your current stage of mods. What size turbo? TD05H will cover a span of 5 or 6 different size turbos.

If I were you, I would spend the money on a fuel system at this point. Fuel pump and fuel control at minimum. That way, you can take full advantage of what you have right now.

If you MUST get the cam gears, look around for gears that have more clamping points. Skunk2 gears have 6 where the AEM's only have 3 and a few other brands have 4 or 5 clamp points. I've overrevved my engine to 10k+ (never logged it) a few times and never have my Skunk2's slipped timing or sheared bolts.

IMO, it's not worth it *yet*.

Marcus

fusionsport
07-23-2005, 10:53 PM
if you can get them cheaply enough and have something to tune the car for them cam gears can be amazing. On my turboHonda for example cam timing was worth 100whp under the curve, which you really do feel.

The number of bolts is pretty irrelevant, cam gears slip because they are not tightened properly or not locktited down once the final adjustmant has been made. I have yet to see a properly installed set of timing gears "slip".

Codsk8er
07-24-2005, 01:12 AM
well, my tdo5h i think is a small 16g. The guy i bought the car from didnt tell me much about it. But i usually just driving around town and stuff i run it at like 8-9 pounds of boost, and when i turn it up like 3/4 of the way it is at 12-13 pounds of boost. If that helps ya I dont know. Do you reccomend any specific fuel pumps, sizes, etc. Also, thanks for the replies; they are helping me out a lot. Thanks! keep em coming if you can or want.

TSIDrummer
07-24-2005, 02:25 AM
I, and I think most people, would refer you to get a Walbro 255hp(high pressure) fuel pump. But with that, you need a good FPR. Larger injectors would also be a plus. With all that though, you will need a good tuning tool, like an SAFC, or better yet, DSMLink!

-Eric

TheJackal
07-24-2005, 04:21 PM
You dont really need them yet. They also only "shift" the power around..

What do you mean under the curve Don? Before boost?

9820gGSX
07-24-2005, 06:12 PM
I definetely agree with everyone, these are not an absolute must have part "right now". Browsing this thread I did a little research on pricing for cam gears and fuel components and I believe Marcus has a great point; some cam gears are better than others but you are going to pay for it. They seem to range from fairly cheap to ungodly expensive:
fidanza-$200(pc.), aem-$300, crower-$450, hks-$430
I also agree that building your fuel system would be a better place to start. A Walbro 255 high pressure would run you a hundred some dollars. An adjustable fuel pressure regulator (AFPR) $150-200. a set of injectors maybe $300 and a Super AFC $200-300. Then you would be getting a lot more from what you already have with some tunning. I also would like to throw out the idea of getting some cams before you opting to install cam gears. A set of hks cams about $600. Just my two pennies, hope that helps. thanks for the space.

Tal

Note: I am not a parts vendor or anything of the sort, these prices may be entirely off but I'm fairly confident they are close. Just a couple minutes of web browsing a few online vendors. I apologize for making it sound like a mastercard commercial... Tunning a DSM... Priceless...

fusionsport
07-24-2005, 07:27 PM
under the curve refers to the area of the powerband before peak power/torque. Cam gears DO NOT shift power around. By tuning cam timing events to your specific engine you can realize specific gains in either power or torque. As a rule we spend almost as much time setting cam timing as we do building the entire engine.
There is a reason many manufactureres including BMW, Porche, Ferrari, etc use variable valve timing, to realize gains in both peak power and peak torque. The BMW Double Vanos system for example is constantly adjusting cam timing using a digital signal dependeant on load, vehicle speed, etc.
The first thing to do is to decide on a goal for your car, do the research, and make it happen. Serious thought put into what your goal really is and how to get there will save you money and headaches. Not doing the same exact thing as people did 10years ago when we didnt know any better will save you even more.

Zarco
07-24-2005, 11:47 PM
I would strongly recomend looking at some web sites such as a roadrace, buscher racing..ect. Web sites like these have dealt with dsm's for quite a while now and will show you what type of power is to be made from what types of mods. The mods that you will choose to throw on your dsm are yours only to pick. Many board members here have plenty of powerfull insight, but I would simply recomend using the google along with coming up with a power goal for your car. Fuel, and tuning is a great place to start with your system: but in order to decide how big you want to go....you need a power goal along with a power range that you are looking for. By no means do I aim to discurage your posting on rmdsm, I would simply like to point out that we were all noob's as well at one point and that the best way to learn is to use the allmighty search button and read.

Zarco.

TheJackal
07-25-2005, 01:49 AM
under the curve refers to the area of the powerband before peak power/torque. Cam gears DO NOT shift power around. By tuning cam timing events to your specific engine you can realize specific gains in either power or torque. As a rule we spend almost as much time setting cam timing as we do building the entire engine.
There is a reason many manufactureres including BMW, Porche, Ferrari, etc use variable valve timing, to realize gains in both peak power and peak torque. The BMW Double Vanos system for example is constantly adjusting cam timing using a digital signal dependeant on load, vehicle speed, etc.
The first thing to do is to decide on a goal for your car, do the research, and make it happen. Serious thought put into what your goal really is and how to get there will save you money and headaches. Not doing the same exact thing as people did 10years ago when we didnt know any better will save you even more.

So in our non "v-tec" situation, we can either tune the gears for torque or horsepower, aka, mid or high, and therefore shift the power. Thats how I meant to say it..