PDA

View Full Version : 1g CAS in a 2g-7bolt

ghartung
08-19-2005, 05:25 PM
I thought a good way to get prepared for a 6-bolt swap would be to get the electrical working first. So I swapped a 1g CAS onto my 95 7-bolt motor. I swapped the plugs, inverted CAS in DSMlink, set base timing to 5, etc. Car runs fine, but throws a random misfire pretty fast (5-10 miles). It's very reproducible. This was with a green CAS (optical). I swapped in a black plastic one (hall effect) and still got the same misfire code.
This sounds pretty standard for the swap, but when the CEL is lit on my car, it's worse than just a code. It actually goes into some severe limp mode - it feels like it's running on 3 cylinders. Page 1-48 of the 2g tech manual (the NON-turbo section) describes a high % misfire condition where it defaults to open loop and pulls fuel. The gauges support this - EGTs plummet and the O2s go very lean. I can't find any mention of this in the turbo section.
Anyway, the CEL is not flashing like the manual says it should be. If I turn the car off and back on the limp goes away and it runs fine but the light is still on. It will return to the limp mode again within a mile.
If I turn off misfire detection in DSMLink, then it runs fine - no CEL, obviously, but more importantly no limp mode.
Does this sound right to you guys? Should I be concerned? Do I have 2 bad sensors?

Thanks,
Greg

Hal
08-19-2005, 05:34 PM
That's why you turn off misfire detection.

If it runs smoothly everything is fine.

ghartung
08-19-2005, 07:01 PM
OK, thanks for the sanity check. I just didn't expect it to be so severe.

It sounded like not everyone experiences this and some have mentioned that the hall effect sensor is better than the optical. Just adding one data point in the not-so-much column.