PDA

View Full Version : help passing emissions.

spaniard
01-10-2006, 01:44 PM
ok to start i failed emissions because i was running to rich, so if anybody could just give me a list of things i could do, that would be great. so far i lowered my psi to about 9 and thats about it. i read that i should put some alcohol in, but how much. also i'll get the cat nice and hot. if i borrow someones data logger will they know that i used it and fail me? i could really use your help because im on my 4th temp tag and they don't give out any more.
Thanks

Hal
01-10-2006, 01:48 PM
Complete list of mods?

spaniard
01-10-2006, 01:51 PM
Complete list of mods?
the mods that i know are: turbo x controller, possibly a new fuel pump (not sure though, just got the car), air/fuel mixture gage and turbo gage(if it matters), larger intake pipe, but other than that just stock,

Hal
01-10-2006, 01:53 PM
No afc or other fuel/air mods like hacked MAS or larger injectors?

Does the air fuel gauge "bounce" during idle & cruise conditions?

spaniard
01-10-2006, 01:57 PM
im new to things so i dont know if the MAS has ben tampered with, no larger injectors, the air/fuel gage is bouncing all over the place except when its to the flour and then its firm.

Hal
01-10-2006, 01:57 PM
Oh, btw, according to Colorado state law, the person you bought the car from is obligated to make the car pass emissions and provide you with the results so you can register the car.

From aircarecolorado.com:

Change of Ownership

An emissions test is required when a vehicle is sold or the ownership changes. The seller is responsible for obtaining the test. This requirement is a consumer protection, and applies to private party vehicle sales as well as to dealers.

A vehicle dealer may offer customers a voucher enabling the buyer to obtain a test for free. The customer has the right to refuse this arrangement. The dealer is responsible for repairing or repurchasing the vehicle if it fails the emissions test, but the consumer must return the failed vehicle to the dealer within 3 days of the purchase, beginning the day after you take possession of the vehicle.

Hal

Hal
01-10-2006, 01:58 PM
Post your test results #'s and limits

Hal

spaniard
01-10-2006, 02:04 PM
i lost the papers but i remember that it was 3.5 and the limit was 2.5 on the HC i believe

spaniard
01-10-2006, 02:08 PM
with the law and change of ownership, the car broke down the day after i bought it because the timing belt slipped and i bent valves. so even though its been long after 3 days of purchase does the law still abide?

Hal
01-10-2006, 02:14 PM
The 3 day limit applies only if you bought the car at a dealer.

If it was a private party sale, the seller should have provided you a with a current emissions test result to take to dmv.

Now, since the t-belt failed, the work to repair it pretty much wipes out any obligation that the seller might have had. He can't very well fix it after you've had to do a repair.

But, the fact that you had to do that repair is very informative. I would check the following:

1) Spark plugs (BPR6es) gapped to .028
2) New spark plug wires
3) Proper cam timing (commonly caused by botched t-belt job)
4) Proper spark timing (CAS adjustment)

The "bouncing" a/f meter indicates the closed loop operation is "normal", which leads me to think your high H/C is due to a mis-fire. Either that or your engine has so much blow by that the oil has become fuel contaminated leading to high H/C's from the recirculated breather line.

Hal

sbiggi
01-10-2006, 02:15 PM
I'm amazed how many people fail emmisions, I passed with flying colors and all I did was put my cat on the car.

Check for boost leaks with a leak tester, that should be your first step.
Fix the leaks, then reset the ecu by unplugging the battery.

-Seth

Hal
01-10-2006, 02:20 PM
A boost leak is certainly another possible cause.

Hal

CU DSM
01-10-2006, 05:18 PM
Maybe Robert could chime in on mods. and any other possible issues with the car?

-Jonathan

pepsi21463
01-11-2006, 02:14 AM
I couldnt pass emissions for a while either. If you're in El-Paso county then you should look into getting a waiver. If you spend over $200 then and don't pass you'll get a waiver thats what I ended up having to do. I had a misfire that wouldnt go away, I took it to a mitsubitchy dealer and they told me it was the spark plugs :rolleyes: . That cost $300...and of course they were wrong, but it got me the waiver.

KeltonDSMer
01-11-2006, 07:45 AM
Damn, those must be some nice plugs!

Seriously though, a cat is the #1 must important factor. Even an old clogged cat can cause you to fail because they simply don't work as well. Just get the cat as hot as possible before you take the test; sit in the line reving your car if you can.

The DSM I'm driving right now burns a lot of oil, idling for 30 seconds will cause plumes to come out if you give it gas. Oil smoke is very non-completely combusted because the HC chains are so long and complicated. This is terrible for emmissions and I still manage to pass 1st time everytime.

Just make sure your O2 sensor is good, you have a cat and that it is hot enough when they perform the test.

spaniard
01-11-2006, 10:05 AM
is there any way to find out if the o2 sensor is good or should i get a new one just to be safe. if i get the cat hot will it unclog it or just perform better?

sbiggi
01-11-2006, 10:09 AM
Damn, those must be some nice plugs!

Seriously though, a cat is the #1 must important factor. Even an old clogged cat can cause you to fail because they simply don't work as well. Just get the cat as hot as possible before you take the test; sit in the line reving your car if you can.

The DSM I'm driving right now burns a lot of oil, idling for 30 seconds will cause plumes to come out if you give it gas. Oil smoke is very non-completely combusted because the HC chains are so long and complicated. This is terrible for emmissions and I still manage to pass 1st time everytime.

Just make sure your O2 sensor is good, you have a cat and that it is hot enough when they perform the test.

Meh, I go through a quart of oil every 1k miles or less. My car passed way under the limit.

If your car cant pass, then there is something seriously wrong with it.
For most dsm's it will be a issue of a shitty tune, ie running extremely rich.

Check for boost leaks
Make sure your trims are close to 100%
Make sure the o2 cycles (if you have a blinky light gauge it should cycle fairly fast while cruising)
If your car missfires, change the plugs and wires.
If you are a 1g, your coils are at least 12 years old, they may be worn out.

My brother has passed without a Catalytic Converter, the limits on emmisions are very lax, basically your car has to be f'd not to pass.

-Seth

sbiggi
01-11-2006, 10:14 AM
is there any way to find out if the o2 sensor is good or should i get a new one just to be safe. if i get the cat hot will it unclog it or just perform better?

See my above post for things to check.

You can check the o2 with a voltmeter or a pocket logger.

The cat will get hotest if you just take your car on the highway and cruise for 10 minutes, it will just perform better when really hot.