PDA

View Full Version : Where to get my car tuned?

90-tsi-awd-danny
01-13-2006, 10:47 PM
Ok, well I don't have an SAFC yet, but I do plan on getting one soon. I was thinking about installing it myself because I am fairly mechanically inclined, and I'm going to school to be a Automotive Technician, so I think I can do it. But where would you guys recommend I go to get it tuned? Also, if I was to pay someone to install it, where would you recommend that I go?

Thanks for the help,
Danny

3rdtime
01-13-2006, 10:56 PM
MAC Auto Sports in parker, and no i'm sorry i don't have there number but some one else might.

sbiggi
01-13-2006, 11:13 PM
What are your mods? and do you have a datalogger?

Steezy303
01-13-2006, 11:16 PM
I Recommend Carz Customs:
7895 West 14th Ave, Lakewood, CO 80214
(720) 214-5095

90-tsi-awd-danny
01-13-2006, 11:20 PM
I have heard some good things, and some pretty bad things, about Mac Autosports. I used to work at The Garlic Knot, and the manager there, who has a tuned WRX, said that Mac broke a lot of his parts while installing other parts, everything that they broke was upgraded for no cost to him, but I was wondering if anyone else has heard about, or had parts broken, by them.

Does Carz have an AWD dyno?

Steezy303
01-13-2006, 11:21 PM
yes they do,
dyno dude and fusionsport work there

90-tsi-awd-danny
01-13-2006, 11:23 PM
All stock except for MBC, 3" o2 back exhaust, and K&N filter. I do have a datalogger, but the batteries died so i need to download the MMCD program again so that I can get it back up and running

Steezy303
01-13-2006, 11:25 PM
here is the program if u dont have it thanks to boostedTSI on my thread

http://mmcdlogger.sourceforge.net/

TheJackal
01-13-2006, 11:25 PM
We also have a few AFCs in stock (I work at Carz also), if you bring us your car, we can install it, tune it and have it back to you in a half day most likely. What mods are done to the car?

90-tsi-awd-danny
01-13-2006, 11:26 PM
I just posted the only mods I have up a little bit in the thread. How much is the retail price on a SAFC2?

How do I add the signature so each post I make shows my car and mods?

Steezy303
01-13-2006, 11:26 PM
oh yea, sry I forgot to mention u Austin

Steezy303
01-13-2006, 11:50 PM
I just posted the only mods I have up a little bit in the thread. How much is the retail price on a SAFC2?

How do I add the signature so each post I make shows my car and mods?
you have to have 50 or more posts

90-tsi-awd-danny
01-13-2006, 11:54 PM
Oh, that makes sense then. It was confusing me because I am on Buschur Forums too, and they both use vBulletin, but this one didn't have a place that said "Edit Signature".
Thanks for the clarification.

Danny

TheJackal
01-14-2006, 08:54 AM
I would suggest getting a fuel pump also at the same time you get the afc if you dont have one already. We have 2 afc1's at the shop right now, One is Dons and one is Lucas's off our project car. I think they are both willing to part with them if you dont want to spend the cash on the afc2, but we have that in stock too. Call the shop today between 10 and 2 and Don will run you a price. 720 214 5095.

Hal
01-14-2006, 09:33 AM
Ok, well I don't have an SAFC yet, but I do plan on getting one soon.

Before you go the SAFC route, I'd suggest you think about the future mods you plan on doing and how well the SAFC will work with them.

Using an SAFC to compensate for larger injectors has a side effect of increasing igntion timing. Not a bad thing, up to a point and under the proper circumstances.

Other alternatives may cost more initially, but be cheaper in the long run if you wind up switching from the SAFC to something else later.

Hal

Steezy303
01-14-2006, 09:55 AM
I agree with Hal, think about what you want to do with your car first. If you want to make high hp numbers I would recommend AEM EMS, or if you want to be in this 300+ range I would recommend DSM Link, but thats just me

CU DSM
01-14-2006, 10:43 AM
I agree with Hal, think about what you want to do with your car first. If you want to make high hp numbers I would recommend AEM EMS, or if you want to be in this 300+ range I would recommend DSM Link, but thats just me

It really depends on how much he wants to "get involved" with the tuning process, so to speak. DSMLink is more than adequate for the vast majority of any and all DSMs out there. It's also more cost-effective, especially if you've already got an EPROM ECU.

No matter what, I would have to agree with everyone so far in that you should be planning 3-steps ahead at any point in time so you're not having to redo things down the road. You can always modify your plan, but if you have a decent idea of where you want to go with the car, you'll not only save yourself money, but avert many headaches as well.

-Jonathan

90-tsi-awd-danny
01-15-2006, 02:48 PM
Well, I am going to have to find my major oil leaks before I spend any money on a SAFC. I just found out last night, at work, that I have a fairly large oil leak, so I will have to trace that down first.

My goal for the future is to run the most power I can, streetably, on the 14b, and then once that goes dead, I want to upgrade to an Evo III 16G, but that's all.

Thanks for all of the information,
Danny

PS. Sorry Jackal, I didn't have a chance to call yesterday because I was at work from around 12:00 Noon, until 2:15 am this morning. I will call next week.

TheJackal
01-15-2006, 06:46 PM
No problem, most likely I wont be answering the phone anyway..

90-tsi-awd-danny
01-16-2006, 02:57 AM
Well, I talked to my buddy in Las Vegas today, and he has me convinced. I would be better off going with a maft and GM mas airflow sensor then with a SAFC. After what he told me today, it is very easy to tune with, and also with the blow-thru setup, if you pop an intercooler line off during driving the car won't die, because of the blow-thru.

Do you guys sell the Maft Jackal?

Thanks for the help,
Danny

fusionsport
01-16-2006, 08:32 AM
I have several on order, will be here this week- give us a call at the shop-

720-214-5095

90-tsi-awd-danny
01-19-2006, 10:06 PM
Thankyou for all of the help today Don and Austin. I learned quite a bit while I was there. I am also glad that you guys had those 255 pumps in stock, because I hate waiting for shipping. I would much rather drive for 20 minutes and get it in my hands.

I will see you guys tomorrow.

Thanks again,
Danny