PDA

View Full Version : Evo 8 tuning

-EpicEVO-
02-17-2006, 12:52 AM
Hey all,
I just purchased an 05 evo8 and now i've got a 3" cat back, simple intake, and boost guage along with the apexi Super afc2..

Any ideas of what fuel trims should be at altitude, and baseline setups for the afc 2??

The car boost spikes to 25psi, i'm assuming thats more than it should, however the vac lines all go to were they are suppose to go, am i missing something, does the evo have a magic boost controller i don't know about??
When do it become time to upgrade a clutch?? Now??

Just any general tips/advise on do small yet affective mods to the evo, i'm a fairly expericed DSMer however i've been out of these cars for awhile..So i'm trying to re learn everything..

thanks for the space
mark

cotsi95
02-17-2006, 01:07 AM
Yay my time to shine! lol I use to be obeseed with evos and then my dream died when i realized i couldnt afford one right now (being 17 and all), so to my dissappoint comes your good sorce for evo information.

ok 1. 25 psi is not too bad but its more then u should be spiking (keep in mind then run 22 psi stock).

2.get rid of the afc it really isnt good on evos because they would multiple maps for fuel and timing depending on the situation. So i recommend getting the Vishnu Xede from all my research (almost a year) they have the best maps/ tuning device out right now for the evo, and youre in luck because there prices just dropped! (for more info visit www.vishnutuning.com or go to evolutionm.net and got to the vishnu forums).

As for the clutch it really depends on how many times it ahs been launched or how many miles it has on it. The stock clutch can handle around 30 or so HARD launchs. If your gonna get a new clutch i recommend an exedy 2 disc.

For exhaust (if u want a 3in tbe with a test pipe) i can get an Invidia 3in with test pipe and 02 simualtor for around 650 shipped! Invida makes some of the nicest exhausts around!

The stock intake can handle 500+hp with just a k&n drop in so your fine there. Really its all about how much power you want to make and how much you want to spend and how much you want to be able to tune. Because there are flashes out there that give you powe for only around 300 dollars but i perfer the xede.
if u need anymore help or want to ask anymore questions feel free lol i love talking about evos and i will help you out as much as i can or point you to the direction of someone who can!

P.S. good luck with the evo you wont be dissappointed!

DlandryTSI
02-17-2006, 07:42 AM
I would steer away from any of the Vishnu products. Do a few searches and you will find out why.

As far as what to use there are a few options. Dynoflash has some re-flashes for the evos as well as a few other people. The only other supported options other than a re-flash is to do an AEM install.

The SAFC is good for the money but keep in mind it will only do fuel tuning by tricking the air metering signals.

For any parts you need go through AMS Performance (http://www.amsperformance.com) or MAC Autosport (http://www.macautosport.com) . AMS is pretty much the only one that has put down real numbers and times IMO.

Also Mark I have an 05 evo as well ;)

--Dave

Hal
02-17-2006, 08:08 AM
Several people have had good luck putting a 2g ECU in the Evo and running DSMLink.

If you'd like more information, contact Tom Dorris via the DSMLink.com contact page.

I don't like the Xede or any other piggyback, because you use it to "fool" the ecu and then have to fool it some more to get around the adverse effects of tuning.

Example, reducing air flow to lean it out, raises timing, so you have to reduce timing to get it back to usable levels.

Hal

fusionsport
02-17-2006, 08:36 AM
We have had extremely good results using the AEM on the EVO's. Now to sort of answer your questions:

The Evo runs on basically four maps- one each "high" power timing and fuel, one "low" power timing and fuel. If you use and AFC the ECU can get really confused as to which settings it needs to be at, and you will not make consistent power.

22psi is fine, but not at your mod level. EVOs are NOT 20+ stock. Their boost control functions are based on many things, including coolant temp, vehicle speed, etc. Most seem to run around 17-18 psi stock. Different years had didfferent turbos as well, so if you have a "small" housing year you will not make the same power at the same boost level as another car.- As an example of this- we had a car come in to dyno that had exhaust, dynoflash, intake, boost controller, etc and he put down an un-exciting 260-ish. Another EVO8 the same day(basically rolled one off and rolled the other on) with just a turboback and intake hit 300-ish. He *might have had a boost controller, but IIRC he did not. The difference was in the year and thus the turbos on the two cars- look the same, but arent.I cant remember off the top of my head which you have- but I will check.

I would NEVER recommend using any Vishnu product. This is not just a personal thing, it is a professional one as well. I have yet to see good reliable results on the dyno from a Vishnu equipped car.

If you want, feel free to come down and check out the shop and dyno, check out the Evo IX and what we have done to it, and see what we can help you with.

AWD4G63T
02-17-2006, 08:54 AM
I don't know if this holds for all of the years but all of the things that I've read say that the evo boosts to 19psi and will slowly drop to 16psi. From the factory the ecu with cut timing and and add fuel (or maybe the other way around) just to be extra safe. From what I hear on Evolutionm.net the SAFC is no way to try and tune an EVO. If you want to do it right just drop the coin on the AEM EMS.

AMS (www.amsperformance.com, www.automotosports.com) is the worlds greatest EVO tuner as of right now. But Buschur Racing does make a fabulous exhaust that drops 30lbs off of your weight. Both of these guys are vendors on www.Evolutionm.net, go check it out.

I envy both of you guys, I totaly want an EVO but I don't make enough $$$ right now.

My Handle: G3tpwn3d.........(yea I know, I couldn't think of anything better at the moment! :D )

-EpicEVO-
02-17-2006, 09:05 AM
Hey thanks for the info all...
Ya unfortunitly the car had mods when i purchased it, and it seems to run good, but i want to get the boost issue figured out and go from there..

Ya i hear you got an mr right dave??
congrats... I'm loving my RS its the less expensive one, but it still works... Maybe we can race sometime. lol

The vac lines go to the stock boost solinoid, any idea why it's spiking to 24psi?

I think im just going to stay stockish for a while.
How much boost does that stock BOV hold?

mark

v413nc3
02-17-2006, 09:26 AM
The stock BoV is plastic, take that for what you will. A lot of great advice in here. The AEM is definately a good choice, as is DSMLink. I wouldn't put a Vishnu product in my car unless I was promised the chance to kick that idiot Shiv in the side of the head every day for the next year. But then again, this is personal preference. Take it for what you will. Whatever you do get rid of that AFC. DSM's give a lot more leeway with the timing issues caused by an AFC, Evolutions do not. As a matter of fact they use a lot less timing to make the same power.

fusionsport
02-17-2006, 09:36 AM
you can "upgrade" to the MR or IX BOV- they are relatively cheap

Just FYI- I keep the EVO 8 AEM EMS in stock at all times, so anytime you want to look at one, just come on down :)

If youe vac lines to the boost solenoid are not corrected properly then you could very well be spiking- its definitely something to look into.

TSI_LIPE
02-17-2006, 09:39 AM
Geez I wish i could afford an Evo those things are so freekin sweet. "Lucky" Napoleon style.

hemi-colt
02-17-2006, 09:50 AM
I seen most stock bov's hold 22psi to 26 psi. I just wanted to add utec from turbo xs is a great piggy back it reminds me alot of dsm link. Speaking of dsm link hals right there a couple guys running 2g ecu with dsm link and it works great. You should call Street concepts or www.sc-power.com they know evo's there latest one is in Performance audio and sound magazine due out this spring.

Davis

fusionsport
02-17-2006, 10:14 AM
actually- the UTEC is not very impressive lately on the EVOs. The fact that the EVO switches from any combination of four maps depending on what it feels the car is doing makes it hard for a piggyback to really work with it. Same as the WRX/STI. Sport Compact Car had over 200 dyno pulls on thier WRX on the UTEC, most of them at TurboXS, and they never got it really right. It DOES work, and it is easy to set up initially, but honestly it will require near-constant tinkering.

jonvr4
02-17-2006, 11:33 AM
I have seen a UTEC destroy 2 engines in an STI becuase it couldn't figure out what the ecu was doing. One of the engines cracked a piston during daily driving, not being driven hard. UTEC is crap!

hemi-colt
02-17-2006, 03:28 PM
That sucks i have never heard of that all the people i know running utec love it owell to each there own..

Davis

sbiggi
02-17-2006, 04:23 PM
I have seen a UTEC destroy 2 engines in an STI becuase it couldn't figure out what the ecu was doing. One of the engines cracked a piston during daily driving, not being driven hard. UTEC is crap!

My roomate runs utec on his STI. He seems to like it less and less.

The map they gave him for "stage 2" sucked. He had to redo all of the fueling points. The cross over where utec and the ecu controlling was all jacked, utec would make the car buck when it took over. Over all the utec map ran pig rich.

After all his part throttle tuning he got it so its alot better.

You get what you pay for, if you dont get a custom tune then you arent going to have optimal results unless you luck out.

-Seth

cotsi95
02-17-2006, 04:43 PM
For an Sti the only way to go imo is an acess port. That reminds me thats access ecu (the company that make access port for Cobb) is coming out with one for the evo if u want to wait.

-EpicEVO-
02-21-2006, 08:20 AM
Now when everyone say aem install.. Your talking about the full stand alone right? Aem doesn't really have anything else out right now do they?

The AFC i have right now is all zero'ed out, basically like its not there. The boost "spike" was due to a terrible boost controller i over looked when i inspected the car. Thats fixed 19-20 psi consistant now. The 2g ecu swap with dsmlink would be really fun but it sounds like a pain in the ass for a daily driver..

My basical goals for this car for now are simple..
-clutch
-3" downpipe
-some kind of fuel and timing tuning device
-aftermarket BOV
and that probably about it for now..

I figure that'll get me a low 13 maybe a really high 12 with a good launch?
MARK

fusionsport
02-21-2006, 08:54 AM
My roomate runs utec on his STI. He seems to like it less and less.

The map they gave him for "stage 2" sucked. He had to redo all of the fueling points. The cross over where utec and the ecu controlling was all jacked, utec would make the car buck when it took over. Over all the utec map ran pig rich.

After all his part throttle tuning he got it so its alot better.

You get what you pay for, if you dont get a custom tune then you arent going to have optimal results unless you luck out.

-Seth

Depending on where you have the UTEC tuned makes a lot of difference as well. Dyno tuning vs road tuning in the case of the STI makes a lot of difference.

cotsi chip tuning the STI is an exercise in futility as well, since the ECU learns around the tuning and you have to "reload" it fairly often. The best thing is to get rid of the factory ECU if you are going for big power, or just deal with the idiosyncracies of the chip tuning if you are basically BPU or BPU+.

Mark- hell yes I am saying go AEM. We can have it installed and tuned out the door for about 2k, and you never again worry about the tune of the car changing on you. On a BPU car( intake, exhaust only) we topped 300 whp on our dyno with ease, up from a baseline of 255. We still had room to improve, but the owner was happy with the safe tune and decided to stop for the day. Feel free to drop by the shop and we can show you exactly what you get for your money.