PDA

View Full Version : Tranny probs, shift noise, buzzing at upper RPM shifts.

hollywood
03-24-2006, 02:35 PM
Hello folks, thank you in advance for any help you may give.

1st gen GSX.

Took it out, ran a pull, and went to shit from 1st to 2nd, buzz city. 2nd to 3rd same thing. I believe the syncros are gone, duh. Same old prob, just another car.

Who can point me in the right direction for a used tranny, need's to be good condition or a rebuilder locally. I aint gonna touch it right now, it's my only tranny.

I have been reading a lot about a Jack guy on here, where can I find him? Does he do good work?

Also if anyone has any rebuild manuals for this kind of trans I would love to find a copy, as I may aattempt a rebuild myself armed with the right knowledge.

I have had an oppurtunity to purchase a rebuilt 60k trans for $500, but shipping will add another $150 so I am looking for a local source.

Any help would be appreaciated, this is too become my daily driver within in a month, and I would like to get somehting solid in their for now, instead of revmatching and messin up this box. The nhavin it blow on my way to work, I am going to drop it this weekend and check the clutch condition.

Thank you in advance.

Peace
Ryan

AWD4G63T
03-24-2006, 02:39 PM
I too have a buzz at high RPM and it doesn't seem to matter whether the clutch is pushed in or not. I don't think it would be the syncros though or would it?

Jesse

v413nc3
03-24-2006, 02:40 PM
Ryan,

I believe Dave posted a walkthrough on how to do it yourself. A search should turn it up. Jack does pretty good trans work from what I have seen, and the problems that do come up he has no issues with re-addressing. PM him at Jack(IAT). That buzzing sound is probably bearings more than synchros but don't take my word for it, I'm not a trans guy.

hollywood
03-24-2006, 02:46 PM
Thanks I will do a search for that and see what I come up with.

I will also PM Jack.

Thanks for the info on that.

Now does your buzzing happen when your shifting into the upper gear or when your decelerating and accelrating in the same gear.

Mine occures as I am shifting, while trying to find the next higher gear. I removed the rubebr isolators from the shifter mount to take out the slop and tightened the shift linkage a little.

Could this buzzing be a mis aligned shifter, and are there any good posts or info around on the proper shift alignment procedure.

Iwould like to know that the shifter is aligned before I rip into a tranny that may work ok to begin with.

Peace
Ryan :confused:

AWD4G63T
03-24-2006, 02:49 PM
Mine buzzes while down shifting or up shifting. High RPMs in general cause mine to buzz and my throw out bearing is only around 4K old. (not to say that it is not possible)

Jesse

hollywood
03-24-2006, 03:04 PM
That's Weird

What Do You Think It Is?

It Buzzes Going In And Out Of Gear, An When In High Rpms. Maybe Something Like A Bracket Is Loose On The Motor Somewhere Or A Case Bolt Is Loose, Clutch Could Be A Little Fragged Too. That's Weird!!!!

Huh?

Anyone Got Any Idea On This, Buzzing Like A Bastard Prob?

Peace
Ryan