PDA

View Full Version : transmission rebuild

awd1g
07-05-2006, 12:08 PM
I think i broke my front transer case Friday night. I launched and it popped out of gear as soon as I started letting the clutch out, I put it back in gear and just floored it in first and the car started going sideways so i put it in second gear and the tires started spinning again and skating all over the road. I took it home and jacked it up so no tires were touching the ground, started it and put it in gear and only my rear tires were moving! The car still drives fine for the most part but it is a little tuff to start moving when the tires are turned all the way left or right.

Basically my question is, how hard is it to rebuild a transmission? I built my motor so i have some know how. If it is really hard and you guys dont recommend me doing it myself who should i take it to? I would want to take it to someone in Colorado rather then sending it to Shepard or someone like that. I dont have alot of money so i would want to go the cheapest but best route.

Thanks
-Max

Hal
07-05-2006, 12:12 PM
Sounds like a broken center diff.

It's not hard but requires the right tools (pullers and a press).

The factory rebuild manual is available here for download.

awd1g
07-05-2006, 12:22 PM
Thank you for writing back so soon. I also wanted to get new syncros because most of mine are shot, how hard are they? Do you know anyone locally that I could take it to if I cant do it?

Hal
07-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Locally, the best bet is Jack down in Co. Springs

fivetodrive
07-24-2006, 12:57 PM
My car is showing some of the same problems. Is it like the car is binding when turning hard?

awd1g
07-25-2006, 06:56 PM
Yes it is. When im in reverse and turning the car kinda skips!

awd1g
07-25-2006, 06:58 PM
Locally, the best bet is Jack down in Co. Springs

Hal do you have Jacks number? I think I'm just going to buy a used transmission and then build this one, I just need to get the car running again and im not makin enough money to save up for a rebuilt transmission

Thanks

sbiggi
07-25-2006, 07:08 PM
Hal do you have Jacks number? I think I'm just going to buy a used transmission and then build this one, I just need to get the car running again and im not makin enough money to save up for a rebuilt transmission

Thanks

719 2435305

Jack(IAT)
07-26-2006, 02:29 AM
Thanks boostedTSI and Hal! I have thousands of parts if you need any. If you want to build it yourself I can give you some advise on a few of the things some people miss if you want to come down, and I would be more than happy to machine 4 spider units, or double synchro gears for you as well :) Selling parts to the do-it-yourselfer is not a problem here.

Jack

dougs90gsx
07-26-2006, 08:20 AM
Thanks boostedTSI and Hal! I have thousands of parts if you need any. If you want to build it yourself I can give you some advise on a few of the things some people miss if you want to come down, and I would be more than happy to machine 4 spider units, or double synchro gears for you as well :) Selling parts to the do-it-yourselfer is not a problem here.

Jack
Wow I wish you were local to me here out in Utah!

Jack(IAT)
07-26-2006, 11:40 AM
I can still send you parts. Another thing that can be done if you want a tranny from me and not build your own, is if you own a 1G, which I think you do, I can rebuild one of my over 20 spare 1G cores here and ship it to you. You can then ship me back your old broken core as exchange. I have a little machine I made here that tests both the input and intermediate shaft assys before installed (beats the hell out of the synchros) in the tranny, and then I have a machine to run the tranny through a series of tests when completed too, so I know it will be perfect before you get it :)

Jack

dougs90gsx
07-26-2006, 01:10 PM
I wonder how much shipping would be? I am not sure of the condition of the tranny that I have. The guy said one thing to me and another thing to someone else. Can you PM me your address then I can see how much the shipping would be!