PDA

View Full Version : need some clutch ideas?

exiletalon
10-09-2006, 04:18 PM
Ok, I have to replace the clutch!!
I have an 18g-8cm^2 TDO6H, FMIC, DSMLink, alky inj, yadadada,etc..
anyways I regularly push 24psi, this is my daily driver.
I have never done tranny work, nor know how. How difficult is it to swap a clutch, I would rather not do it myself.
Anyways, which clutch should I get for my power ( I have no exact number- but I would say at least 350). I was looking at the ACT 2100/4 puck disc to hold more...
Would that be sufficient ( I dont really launch/ occaisonal trip to track-rare). I also want a moderate clutch feel.
Also, where in aurora would the best/cheapest ( proper, not just cheap)- place to have perform a clutch job. I can get the clutch listed for $325 from SBR, but how much am I looking at for labor. I dont have a garage either..
Thanks you guys?

exiletalon
10-09-2006, 04:31 PM
Ok, after searching at looking, It seems like the 2600/ street disc is what I need.
However, where is the best place to go for this/ with good price?

sbiggi
10-09-2006, 04:35 PM
I'll tell you what, I just started running a ACT Sprung 6 puck. I will never go back to a street disc.

After talking to Jack my next one will either be a unsprung 4 puck, or some kind of Twin Disc.

exiletalon
10-09-2006, 04:45 PM
How much did you pay for the install.
My car sees as much/more traffic than track time- so I need to keep a relatively modest clutch feel, I want both of my legs to be the same size and mass too....

sbiggi
10-09-2006, 05:07 PM
How much did you pay for the install.

Bahaha! No one touches my car but me.

My car sees as much/more traffic than track time- so I need to keep a relatively modest clutch feel, I want both of my legs to be the same size and mass too....

Even size legs are over rated.

The 2600 PP is whats gonna make the pedal stiff, not the puck disc.
With the sprung center its not bad, it only chatters a little bit at real low rpm trying to slip the clutch.

exiletalon
10-09-2006, 05:12 PM
how about the SBR 3500, it states less pedal pressure than 2600ACT, but more bite, what do you think?
http://www.slowboyracing.com/more.php?id=1965&

sbiggi
10-09-2006, 05:20 PM
how about the SBR 3500, it states less pedal pressure than 2600ACT, but more bite, what do you think?
http://www.slowboyracing.com/more.php?id=1965&

Do a search on slowboy and my screename. You'll what I think about slowboy.

I got 30k miles out of my ACT 2600 and Street Disc. It was a good clutch.

hisandherturbo
10-09-2006, 10:09 PM
ACT 2600 / Street disk.....(or 6 sprung) If you NEVER plan on going to the track, or "driving" the car, then go stock........lol, But obviously you want something that will work on our cars. So don't look anywhere else. POSSIBLY 2100pp, Face it, you are putting down some power, so your left leg will get bigger, or you will be replacing your clutch often, and seeing as how you can't do it yourself, it's gunna cost ya. I wouldn't be surprised if you get quoted around $400 for labor. Unless you want to bring it down to the springs and leave it with Jack.

exiletalon
10-09-2006, 10:57 PM
Its not that I wont, I am willing to learn- but with cold weather, I cant leave it out apart ( I dont have a garage).
I drive this thing daily, and get on it often. ( 4am, no one is out!!)
Plus I dont mind the pedal pressure, I just dont want it to be too hard!!
If someone is willing to help me out, show me and still be paid locally in aurora ( It just started to slip- I turned the boost all the way down until then, and am driving the girlfriends car.)
I would rather learn/pay once, than pay twice/ or break it!!
so would the 2100/4puck be strong enough, I launch maybe once/twice a month at the track.

v413nc3
10-09-2006, 11:25 PM
If you want something that will take abuse and not have to be changed often, as well as not having a massive pedal effort; go twin. Less than 1k and you've got the whole setup.

exiletalon
10-09-2006, 11:54 PM
I am also stressed on cash, as I need a clutch, exhaust, and body work.
plus labor, I have like 1k to spend for everything, and a 3" dp/evo3, labor.

hisandherturbo
10-10-2006, 11:49 AM
I am also stressed on cash, as I need a clutch, exhaust, and body work.
plus labor, I have like 1k to spend for everything, and a 3" dp/evo3, labor.

OMGoodness......... you are looking for the deal of the Century! If you were doing all the labor you might get away with 1K buying most of it used.

So unless you can get some good deals of some of the stuff, just take it one step at a time. Do it once right or do it twice wrong. Have you thought about a flywheel while you are in there doing the clutch???

where is this 2100 4 puck combo coming from???? Am I just loosing it here? Has anyone heard of this combo? Is that even a good idea????

Mirage
10-10-2006, 12:54 PM
Unless someone works for free, you aren't going to find that kind of a deal around for that amount of parts.

ACT sells their parts as componants also.

The 2100/4-puck combo will hold somewhere between a 2100/street disk and a 2600/street disk.

In my opinion, buy the clutch once, and don't worry about it again.

A 2600/street disk combo took me into the 10's on slicks. My personal opinion on the pedal pressure is good. I like the slightly heavier pedal only because it gives more feedback and "feel".

The fear of crankwalk is there, but it'll crankwalk anyway if it was going to.

Those people that complain about the pedal effort are wussies. Drive the car for more than a day, you'll grow to love it. Up until I tried a twin disk setup, that's all that I would ever put in any daily driver.

Marcus

hisandherturbo
10-10-2006, 01:15 PM
PS: My 100lb wife drives the Talon DD with the 2600/street disk and has no problem...... so I agree with the wussie statement! What will help a little bit if you haven't done it is adding the SS clutch line for the 2G, that will relieve some of the heavy pressure!

exiletalon
10-10-2006, 05:19 PM
the setup was found at SBR, and ACT. I am figuring on 2600/street disc.
I have also found the dp at RRE for $350, plus it bolts up, then $350 for the clutch- puts me at $700, I also found that jack does clutches for around $250, so I am fairly clear for a $1000, plus thats an about- if I have to go more, I will- but would rather not if I dont have to..
Thanks you guys for the opinions, I hadnt thought of the 2600, I had a wrx with a spec stage3 clutch, will it be about the same as that, b/c that wasnt really much to deal with.
I have just heard that the 2600 was stiff ( it sounds like its not that bad) so I will go with it anyway!!

talontsi
10-11-2006, 08:15 AM
What will help a little bit if you haven't done it is adding the SS clutch line for the 2G, that will relieve some of the heavy pressure!
I agree. The SS clutch line from RRE was the best $20 mod that I have ever done!

Honestly, I think that if you went with an ACT 2600 with a street disc, and the Xact streetlight flywheel, you would be happy. The flywheel is light enough to increase a little power, help your motor wrap quicker and still be friendly on the street. (Not that an aluminum flywheel isn't streetable)

J.P.

hisandherturbo
10-11-2006, 08:27 AM
I agree. The SS clutch line from RRE was the best $20 mod that I have ever done!

Honestly, I think that if you went with an ACT 2600 with a street disc, and the Xact streetlight flywheel, you would be happy. The flywheel is light enough to increase a little power, help your motor wrap quicker and still be friendly on the street. (Not that an aluminum flywheel isn't streetable)

J.P.

TY........ Tried to say that earlier about the Flywheel since you will have the tranny off anyway!!! And then also no issues with step height, then just wait on the 02 and DP for later, for a good deal to roll around!

talontsi
10-11-2006, 09:05 AM
TY........ Tried to say that earlier about the Flywheel since you will have the tranny off anyway!!! And then also no issues with step height, then just wait on the 02 and DP for later, for a good deal to roll around!
Agreed. I think you will be pleased if you change the flywheel when you do the clutch. With the lighter flywheel, and the clutch, you have already eliminated your drivetrain mods (until you start breaking tranny parts, cv axles, etc) and don't have to machine your stock flywheel.

As far as the downpipe, O2 sensor housing go. I would do the drivetrain the right way the 1st time...that way you don't kick yourself when you want to do the flywheel. (If you are paying someone to do this work, you will save yourself the trouble...and money. Why pay someone another $250 to install a flywheel at a later date?)

J.P.

exiletalon
10-11-2006, 08:01 PM
I dont need an o2 housing, I have the EVO3 which makes mine not line up, plus I have a crap dp.
I only need the dp, and the clutch, where would be the best place to buy a clutch ( 2600/Street disc-flywheel) for the best price??
Thanks you guys, you have already changed my opinion on clutch!!

hisandherturbo
10-11-2006, 08:49 PM
I dont need an o2 housing, I have the EVO3 which makes mine not line up, plus I have a crap dp.
I only need the dp, and the clutch, where would be the best place to buy a clutch ( 2600/Street disc-flywheel) for the best price??
Thanks you guys, you have already changed my opinion on clutch!!

Honestly.......... Just do a google search on them, cause everyone at one time or another has them on sale, keep in mind you might not find the best price for each at the same place. And personally, the 2 times I have got it I believe once e-bay (store, not individual) is where I got mine cheap.

hisandherturbo
10-11-2006, 09:08 PM
hahhahaahha, I just thought about this.......... If you are a 6bolt AWD.... I have a used one that I would sell ya! (Flywheel that is) I KNOW they can be resurfaced, I don't think there is much wear on it. We would need someone "smart" to look at it to make sure it can be resurfaced fine. I just didn't really know where I could have taken it here in the springs to make sure it was surfaced correctly and stepped correctly, so when I got my new clutch I just got another one. (Seth actuallly has the old PP on his car, the only thing that crapped out on the setup was the disk and that was 100% my stupidity fault) :)

exiletalon
10-12-2006, 08:38 AM
I have a7 bolt, unfortunatly.

talontsi
10-13-2006, 08:27 AM
I have a7 bolt, unfortunatly.
I would go to ebay, and make sure you are buying from an ebay store if you are looking for the best price for both the clutch and flywheel. You may have to buy them from seperate stores. Or, you can get them locally, and not pay shipping. (that's easier, but generally speaking...more expensive)

J.P.