PDA

View Full Version : Driveline noise....

mitchel63
11-29-2006, 06:11 PM
I have had this problem for years now! It is a wobble/rattle type noise. It seems RPM dependent to a certain extent but it is hard to tell. It is mostly noticable under load.....especially hard load. Like when accelerating from a low RPM. And.....it goes away when the clutch is pressed in, which made me think TOB. Like I said, I have had this problem for years....last summer I replaced the clutch disk, TOB, clutch fork, and fulcrum ball. I thought that should have covered all possibilities. It seemed to quiet the noise but it was still there. When out driving today, it seemed really loud and kind of freaked me out. Granted, I just went back to stock exhaust for the winter, and my radio was turned off, which is a rarity. And in my head, cold weather does weird things to cars too.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. I am feeling lost on this one....

mkgearhead
11-29-2006, 09:52 PM
I had a noise like that. The metal dust shield on the transfer case that covers the front yoke on the driveshaft was loose. It might be worth checking.

mitchel63
11-29-2006, 10:47 PM
Yeah....it wasn't my imagination that it had gotten worse today. All of a sudden the noise changed to a nasty grinding sound and the car started bucking! I think it is safe to say something in my tranny is not where it is supposed to be!

I love DSM's!

wazzelby
11-30-2006, 11:13 AM
My car had a very similar issue a couple of years ago... Right before the center diff blew up! It might be worth checking that out.

mitchel63
11-30-2006, 06:14 PM
That is a strong possibility. I'll have to dig in and find out for sure....not really feeling like it though!

nefkntym
12-01-2006, 12:52 AM
My car had a very similar issue a couple of years ago... Right before the center diff blew up! It might be worth checking that out.

The exact same thing happened to me on DSM #2.

92laserawd
12-01-2006, 07:20 AM
I've always had problems with transmissions. My laser just got a rebuilt stage 2 from Jack. So far it shifts like butter. The old stock one I got used from "Walker Transmission" (for the same price) and it only lasted maybe a year. Jack explained what most likely happened to damage the old trans. and punch nice gaping holes in the casing. I had problems from the get go with "Walkers" trans.. My conclusion is don't go anywhere other than IAT (Jack)719) 243-5305, because you can't beat the service or the price. Jack will treat you right, and explain any questions you have.

Unless of course you are going to do it yourself.

mitchel63
12-01-2006, 11:41 AM
Jack actually built this tranny 3 or 4 years ago when he was still working out of his garage. I am more than happy with how it has held up....I've beat the crap out of it. I don't think I am going to do anything with it for a while. I'm going to buy a winter beater, let my DSM live in the garage all winter, and deal with it when it gets warm again!

Jack(IAT)
12-01-2006, 11:57 PM
It might be the 5th gear synchro blocker ring. Sometimes they will 'rattle' and make noise, especially if the car isn't moving and is cold. It is a very easy fix without having to pull the tranny. I'd have to hear it to know for sure though. Are you going to be around the area anytime soon??

mitchel63
12-02-2006, 10:54 AM
It is doing a little more than rattling and making noise at this point. It now officially sounds like I am grinding into a gear, but when it is already in a gear and moving.

I'm just over it right now. Thanks for the offer Jack....I might very well get in touch with you in a few months when I decide to do something about this.