PDA

View Full Version : Awd 2 Rwd

Kurb_Appeal
08-22-2007, 08:38 PM
Now before I post anything on this I want to say that I know what most of you are going to say. Get a Nissan or some other rwd vehicle. Well If I wanted that I wouldnt be here. I just want my damn DSM to be rwd. And since I dont have that purchasing option I am trying to make it happen on my own. Also I have already looked into the grenading issues of not having the front axles available to distribute the power a little more. So with that said on to the topic.

I know there is a way to make an awd a rwd. I was reading on clubwrx.net about a guy who did some modifying to the front diff to omit the power output to the front axles.

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/showthread.php?t=27532&highlight=rwd

Also I want to do this while having it apear stock. I know I can do the whole 90 degree turn of the engine and mount a mazda b2600 bellhousing to an rx7 tranny and using a starion clutch assembly and flywheel. But again I want it to appear stock. Even as cool as I think this looks. I want it to be my own version.

Is it possible to do this to my 92 GSX. What know how I dont have in doing this I have help for. I just need to know if the idea is the same for us. If there are any other things I might need to do or not do. Any help on this issue would be great. And again fellas, Please leave your critisism to another post. I am here for info.

Thanks for the help again.
Ethan

nefkntym
08-22-2007, 11:07 PM
Get a switchable tranny and transfer case from the GVR4 RS. Good luck trying to find one, but that is your easiest option. There was a guy around the DSM scene that went by TABOO, had a shop, had some problems. At any rate, he was really big on the switchable tranny/transfer case. Maybe someone around here has some contact info for him, or maybe you would rather search google instead.

Dan Ritchie
08-22-2007, 11:32 PM
The easiest way would be to install a diff locker (VCE - viscous coupling eliminator). It makes the center diff not spin, but isn't extremely strong.

A stronger option would be a welded center diff (obvious how that works) or even a spool (replaces the diff entirely).

Then, all you'd have to do is cap off the ports for the axles, and to do that you could just use caps from axles, or fabricate something that went straight through and bolted in place.

nefkntym
08-23-2007, 12:12 AM
That is an option as well, I was thinking of the ability to be able to switch back at a moments notice since he wanted it to be stock appearing. I am sure he has his reasons. What looks more stock than oem mitsu parts?

biglady112
08-23-2007, 06:52 AM
Or the easiest way to do it is the right way.

https://secure.buschurracing.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22_98&osCsid=adff8a42b01f15a68653d0f7291ad1de

mitchel63
08-23-2007, 08:24 AM
I haven't looked around this link much, but a buddy showed it to me when he was considering this project. Hope it helps!

http://www.projectzerog.com/

Dallas J
08-23-2007, 09:20 AM
Get a switchable tranny and transfer case from the GVR4 RS. Good luck trying to find one, but that is your easiest option. There was a guy around the DSM scene that went by TABOO, had a shop, had some problems. At any rate, he was really big on the switchable tranny/transfer case. Maybe someone around here has some contact info for him, or maybe you would rather search google instead.

Im pretty sure that switchable diff makes the car FWD not RWD

-Dallas J

fusionsport
08-23-2007, 09:42 AM
Dallas J is correct.

Steven he wants to go drifting, so an auto conversion is not even an (almost right) answer, and certianly not the right way.

You can eliminate the FWD portion of the DSM by simply installing stub axles in place of the fwd axles, then locking the center diff/ using a VCE. The actual part your going to break most is the T-case, so go get a good supply of them before you even think about this. Frank over at Rhys Millen Racing told me they went through 6-7 t-cases EACH on the 8 drift EVOs used in the movie, and thats with a lot stronger t-case than what your working with.

You are going to be FAR better off to go find a nice Starquest and drop your DSM motor in it or even better, go find a 240 and drop the DSM motor in it ;)
But if you insist on spending hundreds of dollars and most of your waking hours to find and aquire t-cases, who am I to stop you.

Antoher option would be to use a FWD drivetrain and move the powertrain to a mid-engine configuration much like an R-5 turbo. Then you would be RWD and really unique.

sbiggi
08-23-2007, 09:58 AM

-Dallas J

There is two parts to that.

The switchable diff would lock the center diff and the transfercase would switch to open.

So you could run it FWD or with a locked center.

biglady112
08-23-2007, 06:24 PM
I just re-read. He said nothing about drifting. He asked what is takes to make it RWD. I gave the answer.

Back on topic.

Please tell us the use of the vehicle. It might help put more information in here. Or not steer you in the wrong direction. I gave my link as we are mostly drag racers here and there was no specification.

Steven

nefkntym
08-24-2007, 06:44 AM

-Dallas J

Normally it does, but it can be modified to make it RWD. That is why I made a comment about getting a hold of Taboo. He did something to his setup that allowed RWD mode as well.

Kurb_Appeal
08-24-2007, 10:43 AM
Yeah the primary function would be to drift. And again I dont want to change the aspect of the engine being sideways. I talked Shep and he said he could build the t-case stronger for me. Although it is $2000. Not that big of deal to be different. Im used to the hell of fabrication. It seems to comsume me. I have not seen any VCE for sale. Where could I find one of these. Im not to worried about having extra parts. I have 2 extra t-cases right now. Either for replacement or to be built.

Now for the most part this is possible. If on a stock vehicle would be less prone to braking. I know most peopl dont think this is the right thing to do, but I am set on this. Thanks again for your help. Any body else with info will be greatly appreciated.