PDA

View Full Version : How do I Change the starter plate in a 2g awd (VIDEO)??

TSI_LIPE
03-07-2008, 09:57 PM
I have to change the starter plate in my car. It is making this nasty grinding noise.The guy I bought the car from said that more than likely its the starter plate.

I found this video on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAQaU7-oCcc (http://)

My car does the exact same thing :mad:

The guy in the video said he had a fwd starter plate in his awd.

Is their a DIY I can read somewhere I searched couldnt find anything.

Thanks

Felipe

ba109296
03-07-2008, 10:02 PM
You need to get space between the tranny and engine. I have done it in the car a time or 2.

TSI_LIPE
03-07-2008, 10:04 PM
So I dont need to take out the whole tranny?

I was thinking I could pry it open a little would that work :confused:

ba109296
03-07-2008, 10:15 PM
The problem you have is if you get a little space the tranny is just hanging on there on the input shaft which can damage the tranny and or clutch/disk. I would recommend taking it off or at least have something that will hold it up and take the strain off the input shaft.

Dan Ritchie
03-08-2008, 01:53 AM
So I dont need to take out the whole tranny?

I was thinking I could pry it open a little would that work :confused:

It's possibly to pry, but a serious pain...I'd probably recommend just pulling the tranny.

Mirage
03-08-2008, 02:02 AM
If you have the car torn apart enough to where you can move the trans enough to try and get the plate out, more than likely it'll only be another 15 mins to yank the trans and pull the clutch assy to properly replace the plate.

Do it right and you won't have any potential headaches.

Marcus

TSI_LIPE
03-08-2008, 09:42 AM
I think I will just take out the tranny.

Thanks for all the input

Felipe

Hal
03-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Remove the starter and examine the gear for evidence that it's hitting something before you go thru all the work involved in pulling the trans.

Run your finger around the inside edge of the starter mounting "pocket", again to see if there is any evidence of something abnormal.

Hal

TSI_LIPE
03-08-2008, 11:25 AM
^ I did. Their was some metal shavings on the starter :(