PDA

View Full Version : PTT Anyone have GOOD LUCK?!

hisandherturbo
04-27-2010, 11:08 PM
I am just wondering if anyone has had any luck with running one of these. If so, for how long? and what's your set-up? Twice now I totally smoothed out the inner splines on the disks in less then 1000 miles, So, I am wondering if anyone found a way for these to work good.

TY
JOE

Mirage
04-28-2010, 12:06 AM
Drove on one for years with hard launches and having somewhere close to 700 whp. Never needed to rebuild it or replace disks.

Ended up selling that QM/PTT setup in favor of a Tilton triple setup.

Haven't run this clutch yet.

How do you launch the car with the twin?

Marcus

hisandherturbo
04-28-2010, 12:09 AM
The first time, i don't even think I got the chance to launch it, this time, the only time I did was my 5 passes at pueblo........... as far as "how" ah, to the tune of 1.75 on DR's............lol, tires broke decently then grabbed. But, I like to word the way I launch....... same way I did with my 2600's and that's a "very fast slip".

Mirage
04-28-2010, 12:17 AM
No preloading at all? Not wise. Doing a "fast slip" with a multi-plate clutch only causes some serious shock loading issues due to the lack of "cushion" in the hard rotating parts.

I can just about guarantee that's what killed your axle in the first place.

I broke more parts (rear axle, center diff, T-case, twisted several yokes, clutch disks, etc.) on the ACT 2900 single place with the organic disk versus the QM twin. I was managing 1.5-1.6 second 60' short times. On the twin disk, I didn't break a single part because I had to change my driving style. If I didn't, i knew I would have needed a large spare part source.

Do you have both alignment dowels in place between the trans bellhousing and the engine block? If the input shaft is misaligned or bent, that will cause some freakish wear on the clutch.

Marcus

hisandherturbo
04-28-2010, 01:31 AM
Explain "pre-load"
And I have heard the QM's have a lot better/stronger hubs then the PTT's (yes, I know where he came from)
Yes, both dowels are in place (just seen them again today)
I am going to get the tranny looked at once over for anything wrong (ie input shaft)........... gunna have Jack look at her.
THX MARCUS!!!

sbiggi
04-28-2010, 09:44 AM
Pre-load.... You let the clutch grab just a hair holding the car still with the e-brake.
I wore mine out fast doing that.

I havent had anyluck with the twin disc so far. All stems from the clutch draging since I didnt have it adjusted correctly and combined with a worn pedal assembly.
Now its adjusted correctly, but I need to replace probably everything but the basket and flywheel.
O, and I've had No issues with spline wear, a couple thousand miles on the clutch.

v413nc3
04-28-2010, 10:24 AM
The new hardened splines for the QM's are a HUGE improvement. They keep the splines from rounding out. And they've gone one extra step and released a spud drive setup for them. Uses a single splined section that is splined on the outside area as well that slips into the discs (think Tilton Carbon). Helps with the issue of no full engagement on the rear disc.

I've launched on my QM setup and I road raced it half to death and haven't had any issues with mine since I put the new hardened setup in. I'll be switching to a carbon/carbon setup soon though.

hisandherturbo
04-28-2010, 10:54 AM
Thx, I was supposed to of got the hardened ones when I got my last set........ but found out today I didn't............ grrrrrrrrrr, so I am curious to see what PTT does about it, if they don't just give me free sh*t I am going to switch to the new QM HD setup.

kelvinb
10-31-2010, 11:22 AM
its been awhile since ive been on here, but i just installed my ptt clutch and having some issues as well. im replacing the master and slave today, but last night the clutch pedal stuck to the floor 2x. fluid level is fine, but a small drip from the master i noticed when i was adjusting the master cylinder rod. also it was making a chatter with the clutch disengaged, adjusting the rod in made it go away, but now engaging the clutch its making a squeeling noise. i was reading about the clutch fork maybe hitting the pressure plate bolts? i just put this in last night and adjusted as much as possible but still not working correctly.

brand new ptt clutch
shep stage 4 tranny
oem mitsu tob
stock hard lines/rubber hose

hisandherturbo
10-31-2010, 11:47 AM
I don't know..... I just put in my second set and also am having weird issues....... I gotta pull my tranny and look at mine in the next day or so.......

Hal
10-31-2010, 12:24 PM
These clutches are noisy with the pedal down and when engaging.

If you adjust the rod to get rid of the noise, you're not getting full release and things are now dragging.

I've been running PTT twins for a long time.

I was part of the original test group for them.

Hal
10-31-2010, 12:24 PM
These clutches are noisy with the pedal down and when engaging.

If you adjust the rod to get rid of the noise, you're not getting full release and things are now dragging.

I've been running PTT twins for a long time.

I was part of the original test group for them.

hisandherturbo
10-31-2010, 01:11 PM
Then come to my house and tell me why my 3rd set is grinding......... I know the first 2 was cause of the inner splines wearing out (prior to hardened hubs), now the 3rd set (hardened hubs) after 100-200 miles is grinding AGAIN!!!!!!!!! grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, but it isn't dragging (as far as my tests show), I sit in gear and do either stutter box or just rev over 7k and car doesn't move. Wierdest thing, I adjust my peddle rod and the release point DOES NOT change.

Hal
10-31-2010, 04:12 PM
It's either dragging or your 3rd gear syncros are worn.

What kind of fluid are you using?

Hal
10-31-2010, 04:12 PM
It's either dragging or your 3rd gear syncros are worn.

What kind of fluid are you using?

hisandherturbo
10-31-2010, 04:48 PM
3rd set (of PTT discs) not 3rd gear, lol, but I used to use BG II, but as per Jon's (TRE Jon) recomendation I switched to redline 90 (the yellow one). And it's my 2nd gear (only upshift) and 4th gear (only downshift) that grinds....... and all syncos have the same 100-200 miles on them, they were replaced when my input shaft was replaced all while waiting for my new clutch from PTT.

kelvinb
11-01-2010, 12:42 AM
my bad, i thought i had the ptt but i actually have the qm twin disc. from what i understand they are the same, but my issue was having the discs on the wrong way. i had the flat surfaces facing the tranny. now that its switched, everything works fine even with the stock slave cylinder. thanks for the replies.