+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Torque Plate, piston clearance, etc.

1. RallyGSX Guest

Torque Plate, piston clearance, etc.

I'm rebuilding a 6 bolt motor for my '93 AWD Talon, and I was hoping someone in the Denver area might have a torque plate I could use/rent to bore and hone my block.

Also, any advise on piston clearances and cylinder wall finish would be helpful. I bought some forged, coated pistons (Venolia), stock comp. ratio. I believe they are zero silicon pistons, like JEs, so I know they will expand, and may (will?) slap a little when cold, but I got them for $300 w/rings. They are moly rings, file to fit, Venolia gaurantees less than 2% leakdown, but I know they need to be broken in right. I'm trying quick seat dry assembly lube to help the ring break-in, anyone have experience with this stuff?

Also, I got some Eagle rods, and noticed the oiler holes on the big end are missing. Did anyone use Eagles and remember if the oil hole was there? This seems like a critical detail to me...

Thanks, I totally appreciate any help anyone can offer, hopefully my car will be back on the road real soon.

2. v413nc3 Guest

I own the only rentable head torque plate for the 4G63 in denver it's $75 a week rental. Drop me a PM if you want it.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Downloads
    Uploads

I used the Total Seal quick seat stuff on my 2.3, and it works.

There are no oiler holes on the big ends.

Hal
    - 758/636 uncorrected @ English Racing, Nov 2011

4. RallyGSX Guest

oiler holes

I double checked, and on my 6-bolt, stock "big rods", I did find oil holes on the big ends of the rods. They are chamfered holes in the bearing surfaces directly facing the small ends, with small diameter bores pointed at acute angles up towards the small ends. The other side of the holes are very small, almost like a pinhole.

I'm not sure what they are for, but my Eagle rods don't have them.

Thanks for the torque plate, Jake.

Dave

5. Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, since the bearing doesn't normally spin in the rod , I don't know what those could be for.

Maybe cooling?

None of my eagles or crowers have them.

Hal
    - 758/636 uncorrected @ English Racing, Nov 2011

+ Reply to Thread