+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tires?

1. 2ggsx2ner Guest

Tires?

My friend just bought a 95 gsx with 225s on the back and 205s on the front. The back tires look taller than the fronts. Is this bad for the transmission/transfercase?

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Downloads
    Uploads

If they are taller, yes, it is bad for the transfer case, I'm pretty sure it's not as big of deal with the width. What you need to look at on the tire is not just the first number, but the second number as well. The first number tells you how wide the tire is (in millimeters), the second number is the aspect ratio (ratio of the sidewall height to width). For example, a 225/45/ZR16, what this means is the tire is 225 millimeters wide, the sidewall is 55% as tall as it is wide (101.25 millimeters), and it is a Z rated tire that has a wheel diameter of 16 inches.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Downloads
    Uploads

Even if you find the tires to be really close its still bad to two diffrent sizes (even by a little) of tires on their. I saw a case of an AWD minivan having only 2 tires replaced at work because two still look good, and within 1k miles the van shat the tranny. Play it safe and just replace em.

Also the two tires that got replaced were the same factory size tires that came off. The other two were worn minimally and that size diffrence did it.

4. 2ggsx2ner Guest

Thanks, Also will the pressure plate off of my 2g fwd fit on his awd?

+ Reply to Thread