+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Emissions

1. Join Date
    May 2005
    Downloads
    Uploads

Emissions

Hey everyone I'm new to this site so I'll just start off by saying hi and my name is James and I have a 95 gsx.

So my car failed twice already and I only have a few days before I have to pass. heres my mod list because i figure it might help.

GT3040 BB Turbo (Full Garrett)
    SFP Manifold
    Turbonetics 38mm Wastegate
    AGP Stainless 02 Housing
    3"Turbotech Downpipe
    3" Hi-flow Cat
    3" Greddy PE Exhaust
    Hallman MBC (brand new)
    Denso 660 Injectors
    Wahlbro 255 FP
    SAFC2
    Custom IC piping
    Greddy 24R FMIC
    ACT 2600
    Greddy Type S BOV
    OBX Intake
    B&M Shortshifter
    Boost and A/F Gauges
    Nex Coilovers
    Polyurethane Bushings

The car came from washington so its tuned for sea level and where the car is tested is around 6,500 ft. The first time I forgot to turn the AFC down. The second time I remembered, but I forgot to turn it down for 1,000 rpm, just 2 and 3,000. The corrections were set at -20% for low throttle. I turned it down to -37% and the car still came out too rich. Heres the results of the first two tests, any suggestions before I bring it in Tuesday? Oh and I also got new sparkplugs and gaped them before the 2nd test.

First Test
    ...............Idle....2500....Limits
    HC PPM....1037....302......220
    CO%........3.26....(.8).....1.2

Second Test
    .............Idle....2500...Limits
    HC PPM...697.....847.....220
    CO%.......3.93..(.25).....1.2

Any suggestions?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Downloads
    Uploads

It should be about -30% (450 / 660 - 1) for high and low, since the test is aimed and closed loop operation, but there is an "uphill" phase which can drive the car into open loop.

Is the MAS hacked?
    - 758/636 uncorrected @ English Racing, Nov 2011

3. Join Date
    May 2005
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thats a good question, I dont know. Thats the main reason I joined here, to learn about my car and get to know some people in the area to help me out.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by pepsi21463
    Thats a good question, I dont know. Thats the main reason I joined here, to learn about my car and get to know some people in the area to help me out.
    It's really easy to check to see if your MAS is "hacked" or not. The "hacked" part basically means if some/all of the honeycomb material has been removed from your air intake system (air filter, MAS, etc.)

For this exercise, let's assume you know nothing about your car, other than how to drive it, open the hood, doors, etc. (Not trying to be sarcastic, just starting at the beginning.)

Pop your hood and it should look something like this:
    http://members.shaw.ca/dsm.1000q/Eng...sual-index.htm

Your air filter, MAS, etc. will be in the lower left hand quadrant, on the front passenger side of the vehicle:
    http://members.shaw.ca/dsm.1000q/Engineprimer/2G/Q3.htm

The MAS is the black box to the right of the air filter and just behind your coolant overflow bottle. Your car may still have the airbox around the air filter. The airbox will be the bigger of the two black boxes and it'll be the one closest to the passenger side of the car. The MAS is the thing with the red dot right on the numbered sticker in the above link/picture.

You can find out if your MAS is hacked or not by removing this section from your car. Unplug all sensors from the MAS and loosen the connector/connectors holding it on to your turbo inlet pipe (the pipe on the righthand side of the MAS). You should now be able to lift the air filter and MAS as one piece out of the car.

Take the air filter off and look at the MAS. You should be able to see a material that looks just like a honeycomb. There are normally two of these pieces. If you don't see this material, or only see one piece of it, your MAS has been "hacked". The honeycomb material is there in order to straighten the air and create less turbulence so that the air can be "metered" (counted) on its way to your turbocharger.

Hope that helps,
    Jonathan
    "Rearview mirrors are overrated."

5. Join Date
    May 2005
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok I will check that out when I get home, thanks. I also found a datalogger that I'm going to buy so I can tune the car for Colorado air. I'm also going to go ahead and get the Magnecore 10mm spark plug wires. The previous owner bought the car in 2003 and never changed the wires so I figured it couldnt hurt. I was also going to try some of that guaranteed to pass emissions stuff. Should I put in some lower octane fuel as well? I really need to pass since the deadline is Friday lol

6. Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is a 2g, there are 4 honeycomb sections.

Skip the magnecore, just get a set of NGK wires.

Hal
    - 758/636 uncorrected @ English Racing, Nov 2011

7. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oops, sorry, I was typing so quickly that I inadvertantly said there were 2 honeycombs as I'm used to 1Gs. It was bound to happen eventually! Thanks for the correction Hal.

Yes, the lower octane fuel should help too, as it should burn/combust more completely... it's certainly not going to hurt anything.

-Jonathan
    "Rearview mirrors are overrated."

8. Join Date
    May 2005
    Downloads
    Uploads

I checked and the MAS isnt hacked.

One other question, im a retard and didnt pay attention when I bought the data logger. The guy selling it has a 1g, i have a 2g. The dealer said it SHOULD fit, and about 4 other people said it should, one kid said it wont because the 2g is OBD II....did i really screw up? lol

+ Reply to Thread