Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast

Thread: failed emissions

1. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Downloads
    Uploads

failed emissions

I took my 92 tsi in today to get the emissions done on it and it failed in the HC GPM category at a reading of 7.6293 when the limit is at 2.5000 and in the CO GPM reading at 114.136 with a limit of 20.000.

I had it run with the hks electronic boost controll off so it would run with stock boost. I havent done any engine upgrades. Only 3' exhaust still with the cat. A DNP tubular exhaust manifold. And mandrel bend 2.5" piping from the smic to the throttle body. A HKS intake.

Anyone have any suggestions as to where or who could do some tunning for me so I can get it to pass?

Thanks,

Cody Lind
    92 Eagle Talon Tsi

2. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Downloads
    Uploads

I had the same problem and failed by about the same numbers when I first got my eclipse. The problem in my case ended up being a faulty 02 sensor.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Downloads
    Uploads

I got about the same readings on my Jeep due to a faulty O2 sensor. Try replacing that and taking it back for free within the 10 days.

-Eric

4. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Downloads
    Uploads

hmm

a new o2 sensor, know where or have any suggestions on finding one and about how much they cost?

I also just remembered the the ecu isnt stock on my car and that might possibly be a problem with the high readings. What do you guys think?

Thanks again for always helping out rmdsm.

Cody

5. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Downloads
    Uploads

They usually are around 100 bucks from checker.

Andy

6. Join Date
    May 2006
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not sotck ECU?

Do mean an Eprom from a different car? Or an AEM or something?

7. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your best bet is probably to replace the 02 sensor. They run about 100 bucks as previously said but if you get it from the dealer they are around 125.

8. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok, I will try that out, thanks guys.

And as to the ecu, I have no idea what the guys put in it before i got it.

Thanks for all the help.

Cody

9. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Downloads
    Uploads

Failing emissions

There's a whole bunch of potential causes for failing emissions. To some extent there is patterns, but before you start replacing parts, a few tests and some more info might save you some money/time/aggravation.

Can you datalog your o2?

If you can't, just read the 02 output voltage with a voltmeter. Watch for a constantly changing voltage from .1 to .9v.

If it's not changing, pull the manifold reference line off your fuel pressure regulator and put your finger over the end of the hose. O2 voltage should increase, due to the increase in fuel pressure.

If that doesn't work, or you're stuck fat, try giving the o2 a lean mix to report. Disonnect another vacum line (not fpr) and give it a vacum leak to lean it out. O2 should go down, as the mix is leaner.

As far as the ecu goes, a quicky visual inspection should tell the tale. Pop the cover off and see if it's an e-prom, whether it's been socketed, and whether the chip still has a mits calibration # on it.

Is the catalytic convertor actually intact? A lot of people knock the catalyst substrate out of the casing and leave the shell installed to pass the visual.

I've seen a couple of these cars pass without a functional cat, but it sure helps the high mileage/borderline cars. You can test the catalyst without removing it with an infrared pyrometer. Warm the car up/drive a bit to get it lit off. Then, just shoot the in and out temps on the case/pipes. An increase in temp from inny to outy shows the cat functioning.

I would also check your plugs and wires/airfilter/fuel filter, and a few other items, like fuel pressure, BEFORE buying any parts.

I hate spending money for stuff that ain't broke, cause I've got a bunch of stuff that is broke/begging for an upgrade.

I should be fixing that, instead of making the volvo driving, birkenstock wearing, granola eating treehuggerfying tailpipe sniffers happy...

10. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks a ton for all the information, I really appriciate it and hope that I can solve the problem.

+ Reply to Thread