1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: emissions

1. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Downloads
    Uploads

emissions

ok here's my senario
    my car is all stock besides 3'' apex turbo back with the cat. so i go to get emissions yesterday and i fail because my car is running way too rich the sheet says my carbon monoxide level was at 49.3988 and the limit is 20.0000 with nothing to tune from wat possible things can i do to my car to get it to run leaner?
    i also have an exhaust leak coming from my manifold because one of the studs holding it on is broke off and the limit on hydrocarbons is 2.0 and my car showed about a 2.7 wat could be causing these problems and is there anyway i could fix them aside the leak that i will be fixing soon...?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dead or dying o2 sensor.

You need to put some type of logger on it and check things out.
    - 758/636 uncorrected @ English Racing, Nov 2011

3. Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Downloads
    Uploads

Read the emmsions thread pinned at the top of the tuning section.

Like Hal said, your o2 sensor is most likely dead. Probably also have some boost leaks.
    -Seth

2007 - 11.671 @ 125.34 50trim, 100shot, 110 octane
    2009 - 11.283 @ 126.86 SC6152e (131.11 best trap), only boost

The Pictures
    Other forum screen names; awd1990dsm

4. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Downloads
    Uploads

If it's mostly stock, just throw in a fresh O2 sensor, fresh spark plugs (gapped to .32) and some lower octane fuel - yes lower. I agree that the culprit is most likely your O2 sensor though.

5. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Downloads
    Uploads

You DON'T throw any lower octane in there alan. You make dang sure your car is warmed up before the test, have not much in the tank and make sure its 91 in there.
    I worked at air care and this is how we got a whole bunch of people to pass, or we just cheated a little bit. Hehehe..

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have an 85 Honda Accord that I just got to pass, and all I did was put in about 1/3 or so of a tank of ethanol/E85 and it passed with flying colors. That is not to say that the o2 is not bad on your car, but E85 should help ensure success.
    Hopefully soon, have a 1994 Mitsubishi Expo LRV- and convert it to 4G63 6 bolt and AWD conversion.

1992 Laser AWD white low miles blown HG.
    97 Passat TDI
    96 Ford F-250 XLT Powerstroke 7.3L

7. Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Downloads
    Uploads

Why would you tell him to use 91 octane fuel for an emissions test? Regular gas burns more completely and will reduce the CO readings at the tailpipe sniffer. A hot cat and regular gas should do the trick, just don't go into boost with crappy fuel in the tank.
    '90 GS Turbo

8. Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by ba109296
    You DON'T throw any lower octane in there alan. You make dang sure your car is warmed up before the test, have not much in the tank and make sure its 91 in there.
    I worked at air care and this is how we got a whole bunch of people to pass, or we just cheated a little bit. Hehehe..
    yet again, WRONG. Run lower octane in the car during emissions with a warm cat. Throw in some rubbing alcohol with a low tank and its almost a sure bet to pass.

9. Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Downloads
    Uploads

thanks a lot guys i'll try putting a lower octane fuel in it and im changing my plugs right now and going to a boost leak test then i'll test it again and let all of you how things go.. thanks again!

10. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Downloads
    Uploads

o my, lol... it took me 6 times to pass emissions. ill cut it short and try to help...first step... get new plug and wires.. just basic matience... next.. make sure front 02 sensor is good.. i was pulling 7.5 on my hc and 117 on my co when this whent bad. with a new o2 (logger proved it was dead) i dropped the hc down to 3 and the co down the 117. also fix ur leak.. this can be huge to ur test results. next.. a new cat if u have a cat. (depending on the milage). i was able to cut my hc and co in half with just a new cat. i was still not passing. i too read and read that 85 octane should help with the emissions. so i was running 85.

If u think about it... y cant ur run as much boost with 85 octane as 91? yes...91 takes longer to burn..this is correct... 85 takes shorter. But... 85 doesnt burn as effectivly or as efficentally as 91 does. So even though u think it may take a shorter time to burn and should lower ur test results. it wont. i would either continue to run 91 and make sure 02 sensor is good (it can be good but not throw an cel, it can read 0 volts..or maybe sluggish in giving out readings) 02 sensor (b4 the cat) is the number one reason of failed emmisions btw. and fix ur leak. do NOT go to 85.

I would also suggest 104 octane u can buy at a fuel store. with my new cat, 02 sensor, plugs/wire, no boost leaks.. making sure cat was hot etc etc... i was 2.0 of the 1.2 limit of hc and 3.0 of the 20 co limit i coulnt pass... i put some 104 octane in.. and passed. my hc went to 1.0 and hc to 2.7.

good luck..just dont go to 85... these ppl posting have not experience emission problems and do not have any personal history of using 85 versus 91 + octane fuel.

+ Reply to Thread