+ Reply to Thread

Thread: MOTOR IS DONE!! Bottom End Failure.

1. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Downloads
    Uploads

MOTOR IS DONE!! Bottom End Failure.

So I did a compression test on my motor and the results are

1- 25
    2- 145
    3- 145
    4- 145

80 Percent uncorrected blow by on cylinder number one. Yea WOA. So I want to rebuild the bottom end AGAIN but I have a couple Real Questions for some serious DSM'ers that have rebuilt their motors personally.

I took a bore scope to the cylinder and the walls are scored all to hell, all of the other cylinders are good. My oil consumption was very high and I was burning about a Quart a Week in oil.

I am already 20 over on the bottom end, to save the Cylinder can I take it another 20 and keep it in the safe range?

So if I cant Save The bottom end at all I want to know who has the best assembled bottom ends on the market? Im talking about if anyone has bought one and thrown it together With a head and was happy with the HP levels they have recieved.

Thank you for reading.
    91' 240sx (sr20det swap)
    95' GSX (BLOWN UP & SOLD!)
    Boost or Bust
    Matthew

2. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Downloads
    Uploads

You probably don't have to go 40 over. You can always to 25 or 30. But I would take it to a machine shop and have them look at it first.

3. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well what Im going to do if I cant find a Built Bottom End for a Decent Price kinda cheap ($1300) Cheap is im going to Rebuild another bottom bare block with parts from my block that I f*cked up.

AMS Performance and DSM Parts offers a number of options for 7 bolts. But the Fact is that I need a Block quicker then what they can get for me. Their lead time on a block is 1-4 Weeks! like a Month! in that time if i can rebuild a block locally i can be past break-in !

30 over? lame. no way man, I think it was a mistake on the micrometer measurements. With CP Pistons that is a big mistake! Because they have to warm up to the operating temperature and size to function correctly.

Any other Information about blocks is helpfull to me. I have a Short-block headed my way for $200. PM me if you have one to give up.
    91' 240sx (sr20det swap)
    95' GSX (BLOWN UP & SOLD!)
    Boost or Bust
    Matthew

4. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Downloads
    Uploads

What the hell are you talking about? Do you have any clue as to what your saying? 30 over lame? What in the world??? Wow I am dumbfounded as to what in the heck your talking about....
    I see you have enough knowledge just to be dangerous and not actually know what the heck your doing!

5. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Downloads
    Uploads

I can't PM, so I'll respond here. The piston-to-bore clearance depends on your goals and the type of pistons you use.

There is a gentleman in the 'for sale' section selling a very nice 6-bolt.

http://www.rmdsm.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17108

It is one I built and he ran it for a long time with no issues. The owner is a very honest man and the engine is a smokin' deal! I'd definitely PM him about it if you need a nice forged engine that is all ready to drop right in We looked it over and everything still looks brand new in it. He took very good care of his car!

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by crank_wlk View Post
    Well what Im going to do if I cant find a Built Bottom End for a Decent Price kinda cheap ($1300) Cheap is im going to Rebuild another bottom bare block with parts from my block that I f*cked up.

AMS Performance and DSM Parts offers a number of options for 7 bolts. But the Fact is that I need a Block quicker then what they can get for me. Their lead time on a block is 1-4 Weeks! like a Month! in that time if i can rebuild a block locally i can be past break-in !

30 over? lame. no way man, I think it was a mistake on the micrometer measurements. With CP Pistons that is a big mistake! Because they have to warm up to the operating temperature and size to function correctly.

Any other Information about blocks is helpfull to me. I have a Short-block headed my way for $200. PM me if you have one to give up.

+ Reply to Thread