+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lubrication!

1. Join Date
    May 2007
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lubrication!

What transmission, transfer case and rear diff fluid do you prefer/recommend? What brand and weight?

2. Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Downloads
    Uploads

Transmission gets a straight MT-90. I got tired of trying to search for that one "magical" mix to gain negligible benefits. Works very well and other than the stupid abuse (and inferior clutch) I put on my FWD, has never ground gears.

T-case and rear end gets Redline Shockproof heavyweight.

Best protection I've found for the heavily used gears. Years back with the drag beast I never broke gears with this stuff. Only shafts (T-case, axle, etc.).

This is the only fluid combination that will be running on my next street/High Plains/Canyon carving car.

Marcus

3. 11-27-2010 02:29 PM

4. Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Downloads
    Uploads

What Marcus said, but I run Redline Shockproof Lightweight in the transmission. Only problem with it is that the friction modifier seperates in the center diff and cakes on the inside. I run a welded center so it doesnt matter for me.
    -Seth

2007 - 11.671 @ 125.34 50trim, 100shot, 110 octane
    2009 - 11.283 @ 126.86 SC6152e (131.11 best trap), only boost

The Pictures
    Other forum screen names; awd1990dsm

5. Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Downloads
    Uploads

It's not so much the friction modifier that gets separated, it's the paraffin in the lube that gets centrifuged out.

The paraffin gets separated from the lube inside the gearshafts, center differential and any other cylindrical orifice that the oil gets into. That separated paraffin is what clogs the lubrication passages and causes bearings to fail.

I had a 4th gear weld itself to the input shaft due to a lack of lubrication and the only explanation I could think of/come up with is the gear oil. After that I stopped using lightweight in the trans.

It worked VERY well in the trans when I had it in there, but you need to change it often to keep the separated paraffin out of it.

Marcus

6. 11-28-2010 02:14 AM

Reason
    duplicate

7. Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use heavyweight in all, but then again I don't run stock anything. I run a dogbox, and a custom setup in the rear.
    95 Eclipse GSX Red/Silver
    95 Talon TSi AWD 2005 Lambo Dark Gray Metallic
    05 GSXR 1000 Black/Silver
    93 GSXR 750 Black/Purple
    05 Evolution MR Graphite
    12 F450 Lariat Dark Gray Metallic

8. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Downloads
    Uploads

Mt-90 in the trans, heavyweight in the t case and rear diff. Trans shifts good haven't ground 3rd unless I force it too fast at the track .
    Jim
    93 Talon sold to my son
    12.5 @111 mph

94 Mitsubishi Mirage
    11.6 @ 123.5 mph

9. 12-03-2010 09:01 AM

+ Reply to Thread