+ Reply to Thread

Thread: When did ACT go bad?

1. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Downloads
    Uploads

When did ACT go bad?

I must have missed it or maybe I just didnít pay attention but I always thought ACT was the tried and true brand for the dsmer. Here I am with a ACT 2600 PP with a broken finger and without it I was unable to get my car into gear. less than 3K miles, 3-4 launches. I googled around and this is apparently a known if not common failure. Now Iím hesitate to purchase another, I canít find my receipt and Iím over the ACT 90 day warranty timeframe so I think Iím SOL and on my own. So whatís a guy to do, Iíve never ran a clutch that wasnít ACT, first time Iíve seen this sort of failure. Should I roll dice, hope this was an isolated incident and buy another or is there a more reputable and comparable brand I should consider? Please advise.
    Attached Images
    1999 GSX 7 Bolt 2.3, 1G Head, 1G ITM, FP3X cams, Punishment T3 Tubular Manifold, Garret GT3582R, Punishment FMIC, 1050 FIC, Aeromotive FPR, Walbro 255 FP, Lc-1 WB, Tail 40mm WG, Kiggly HLA, BS eliminated. 438HP/ 385TQ @ 21PSI 12.351ET @115.43MPH

2. First I've ever seen one go bad, but it's not like I had searched for it either. Sorry to see that.
    www.StickyVinylGraphics.com

3. Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Downloads
    Uploads

That kind of breakage just doesn't occur unless you're overextending the fingers or just a plain weak pressure plate.

Where did the clutch begin to engage before the breakage? Top half of the pedal travel? Bottom half? Somewhere around half?

I've run a couple new style pressure plates without issue and too many to count of the old style. I won't use any other pressure plate for clamping power as I have yet to find another that held the torque I was making at that given time.

I've popped disks several times from numerous manufacturers in different ways, but every time I had, I can guarantee it was how aggressive I was on it.

Marcus

4. 04-03-2012 03:46 PM

5. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Downloads
    Uploads

The clutch pedal had around an inch and a half of free play at the top. The pedal would have to be pressed more than half way to get the car in gear. I never payed too much attention about the exact point of engagement but it never alarmed me, It didnt engage off the floor, I didnt use an extended slave rod and it felt good and normal.
    1999 GSX 7 Bolt 2.3, 1G Head, 1G ITM, FP3X cams, Punishment T3 Tubular Manifold, Garret GT3582R, Punishment FMIC, 1050 FIC, Aeromotive FPR, Walbro 255 FP, Lc-1 WB, Tail 40mm WG, Kiggly HLA, BS eliminated. 438HP/ 385TQ @ 21PSI 12.351ET @115.43MPH

6. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Downloads
    Uploads

For the sake of thread closure I went ahead and got another ACT clutch kit and made sure to ditch the non OEM TOB, in retrospect I most likely had the clutch pedal adjusted incorrectly but Iíve got it set correctly now in line with Jacks pedal adjustment video.

+ Reply to Thread