Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: FP Big 28 Questions

1. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Downloads
    Uploads

FP Big 28 Questions

First, of all thanks for letting me be apart of this site. I look forward to meeting with most of you and learning about DSMs. I can turn a wrench but have no idea about how to tune and really look forward to picking brains and learning all I can.

Now my question. I have a 98 GSX (couldn't figure that one out and was looking at getting a FP Big 28 turbo. I still want very good sppol up and want to keep my side mount for the time being. Does anyone have any expirence with this turbo?? What size injectors would be ideal for this set up?? And down the road would a FMIC be something I should be budgeting for??

My goals are to hit a low13 to high 12 sec 1/4 mile, but still keep the car drivable on a daily basis. Mods currently done: ACT 2600 clutch, Magnacore 8.5 mm wires, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, that's reall all.

Planned parts list: DSMlink (already have just not installed, because I have no clue how to use it!!!), ApexI N-1 full exhaust, GReddy IC piping upper and lower, Injen intake, injectors 550's or 660's, and possibly the Greddy FMIC 18, i think that maybe the 24 would be too big for my set up.

Any feed back would be good. Thanks again for the space and sorry for writing a book on my first post!!!

Chris

2. XakEp Guest

After what I've been through, I'm going to offer one piece of advice.

Get a big turbo NOW, as opposed to LATER.

Your wallet and car will thank you later.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your goal can be accomplished. Talongrrl from this board ran a 13.1 with the Big 28. I'm not sure how much farther you can get though because that turbo runs out of air at this altitude. The boost spikes and falls back down to about 17psi.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Downloads
    Uploads

I highly doubt you will hit high 12s with the B28. Talongrrl's car was tuned perfectly and couldn't break in. At this elevation the B28 is a fart of power. If you want high 12s, look at 16g series turbos. The 7cm housing will hold boost up here as opposed to the 6cm housings on the t25/t28/b28 turbos.

As far as setting your car up. The greddy big fmic is fine, but if I could do it again I'd run the dejon fmic and run my I/C pipes around it. Don't bother with the greddy I/c pipes or the injen intake. I had them (had), and they were a waste of money. Again, look to dejon.

Already having dsmlink you could run 1000cc injectors if you want. The problem is what other fuel upgrades do you have? Just injectors won't cut it. There's more to it than just injectors.
    '95 Mitsu GSX
    '06 Nissan Titan SE

5. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Downloads
    Uploads

right now all i have is the injectors that i will be putting in my car...i also purchased a aeromotive FPR and was thinking about throwing that in as well....

what kind of mods was talongrrl running?? injectors? FMIC?, just wondering...

i should say high 12's would be nice but i would not be diaapointed with a 13.5 or so...something in that range would be nice...the reason that i wanted to go with the GReddy stuff is the factory locations of everything...i was looking to keep the car as factory as possible...

i'll probally just start with the big28 and see what happens...does anyone on this forum know how to tune well using the DSMlink?? i could really use some pointers when i get there...

thanks again

Chris

6. Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Downloads
    Uploads

i second hoffman's advice on skipping the b28. it IS an excellent turbo and a proven one. however, after reading and talking to many b28 owner's, i decided to go with a small 16g. everyone i talked to said that the small turbine housing (of the b28) just could not flow enough at this elevation. i am extremely happy with the small 16g. it spools great and has plenty of top end IMO. at bandi i ran a 13.9 last year with a lot of clutch slip in third. this was with no tuning device. i think that with the new clutch a mid 13 should be no problem without any other changes. also, the price of 16g's is so low right now you will have money left over for other mods. the evo3 16g is putting out some damn good numbers and is also very reasonable price wise. if the ease of install is one of the reasons that you picked the b28 (it was the main reason i looked at it), don't be afraid of the install on a 16g. i did it alone only using the vfaq's and it was cake. i would also recommend everything and anything from dejon. skip the greddy and injen products. dejon makes great stuff that is higher quality and is priced nicely.
    Jason

7. v413nc3 Guest

She had a port matched head, stock cams/gears, CFDF clutch, 550's, DSMLink v1, braided steel fuel feed -6AN, FIPK, Injen intake, 2.5" DP 3" catback and Greddy Big FMIC, and she was running 105 octane and only hit 13.1 I'm pretty sure you're not gonna berak 12's in it without a LSD front/rear, and some other engine mods and what not. And if you do break 12's it will be 12.8 or so. Running a BT28 on a side mount is gonna feel like ass.

If you want 12's and a street car get a B16G, Evo16G or a nice ballbearing turbo likea GT10 from SBR. Those will all do you but I hope you get a FMIC.

8. Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Downloads
    Uploads

thanks again for all of the input on this topic...i think that i will take a look at getting a 16G turbo...i think i just liked the idea of being able to keep the factory IC piping locations...

looking at the j-pipe needed for the istall of the 16g, are you able to keep the factory IC pipe locations?? just wondering if anyone had pictures of this install...thanks again

Chris

9. XakEp Guest

back when I had my SMIC and sm16g I was able to keep the factory piping, although I dont know why you would want to. Get a complete UIC and lower pipe too.

Get something bigger than a 16g. Get a 20G.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thats funny because my 16g puts out 20g airflow.

I'm going to echo this again because you obviously didnt look at any of thier products. DEJON!

All my pipes are dejon, and wait, yes, they all run to stock locations. They will also save you $400 over getting the greddy pipes. If you buy greddy you have to use the POS greddy BOV. And yes it is a POS. Greddy is over rated and unless you get thier products very cheap, say fmic for $700, its way over priced for its performance.
    '95 Mitsu GSX
    '06 Nissan Titan SE

+ Reply to Thread