+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Great Luck

1. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great Luck

Alright so i've just had great luck with the 14b. If that's what you call it. The bolt broke off inside the oil return so I went in and drilled it out and tapped it. But with my luck the tap snapped inside too, just like the bolt. Now I have a hard tap in the hole instead. Is there a way to get it out on my own or should I take it to a machine shop?
    Dan Mackin
    95 gst Almost gone
    Saving for 2g awd

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    Downloads
    Uploads

WOW that sucks, usually the material the taps are made of are to hard to drill through with a normal drill bit. I would suggest taking it to a machine shop and see what they can do.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Downloads
    Uploads

Alright that's what I thought. Anyone know of a good shop to take it to in the Broomfield/Boulder area?
    Dan Mackin
    95 gst Almost gone
    Saving for 2g awd

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry can't reccomend any but I'm sure someone on here knows all the good places. Best of Luck.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Downloads
    Uploads

There's a thread on tuners about someone extracting a broken tap. I think they used something called a tap extractor. I'll see if I can find the thread later tonight...It was a pretty long thread and the guy tried all kinds of things. Eventually, he did get the broken tap out though.

6. Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Downloads
    Uploads

broken tap

have you tried using a left hand twist drill?

7. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have the bit to remove broken bolts that twists the opposite way, but it's drilling into the tap that's the problem. If i could drill into it I wouldn't have a problem just slowly making the hole bigger.
    Dan Mackin
    95 gst Almost gone
    Saving for 2g awd

8. Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Downloads
    Uploads

removing broken taps

They are very difficult to get out, but if you spend enough time tinkering with them you can usually get them out.

Where is the tap broken off ?

If it is flush with the surface you have a much better chance of getting it out. If it is broken down hole, it can be a royal bitch to get them out.

There is a lot of judgement involved with getting them out so go slowly and don't do anything that is irreversible.

First wash out the hole as best you can and using a fine wire or pick try to dig out as many chips as you can. That is usually what is jaming the tap. The chips curl in the taps flutes and if you don't back the tap out often enough to break the chips, they just get wadded up in a ball.

Once you have most of the chips out, it might simply unscrew. Put a good lightweight synthetic oil in there. You want the best lubrication you can get.

Tinker with the broken piece and see if it wiggles or moves at all. If it does that is a good sign. If you can get it to move at all, that helps clear any stuck chips. Depending on the size of the tap, and where it is broken you can work it loose by trying to find some way to get it to move. If it has large enough flute openings that you can get a stiff wire down, sometimes you can put a couple small punches down into the flutes and with a screw driver apply torque on the two punchs. Just wiggle it and try to get it free, don't expect to be able to just turn it out.

Some times you can get it to free up by gently shocking it, by placing a soft punch down the hole and gently rapping on it to shake things up.

Sometimes you can free it up by turning it in the forward rotation first than trying to turn it backwards.

Sometimes if it is broken at the surface or slightly above or below the surface you can arch weld a nut to it (usually only works on big taps)

Heat sometimes helps (put the part under a heat lamp until it almost too hot to touch. The thermal expansion will help unbind the tap.

In some cases you can slowly and methodically break the tap up in pieces by using a pin punch (usually a last resort and hard on the hole threads -- usually results in retapping the hole to the next larger size.)

The machinist will try all the stuff above and it takes time and patience to get the tap out successfully. At normal shop rates its usually best to do it your self or buy a new part unless the piece is very expensive the machinist will usually charge more than the salvaged part is worth.

In the case where you absolutely must get the part out you could try grinding the tap out with a dremel or a drill press a copper or brass rod and some valve grinding compound.

Good luck !!!

Larry

9. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Downloads
    Uploads

Use a tap extractor- get one from grainger, msc, etc. One size does not fit all so do your research.

This will get you started: http://www1.mscdirect.com/CGI/N2DRVSH?PMSECT=2010610

+ Reply to Thread