+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 11
1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Intake Manifold Testing?

1. Intake Manifold Testing?

Hey everyone,

So we've got quite a few aftermarket intake manifolds in the club. Any interest in a shootout between them for information purposes? We could dyno up at MAC. I"m up for using any car for the test as long as it's the same car/day for all manifolds. A regular DSM TB should be used as well.

What do ya think?
    I think we've got a Magnus, Forrester, Venom, Stock, Friend's homemade, and others?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Downloads
    Uploads

That would prove interesting. However swapping them will be a PITA.

--Dave

3. I don't think swapping them would be that bad. Mine is easy to remove now that nothing is attached to it.

Plus if Keith hasn't installed his yet then his would be separate from the car, the homemade one is separate. Might be interesting info. Anyone got a BJs for a 1g with a stock TB?

4. v413nc3 Guest

I run a BJ's with a 75mm Accufab. Here's the problem with all this though... each was designed for different things...

The stock 2G higher low end operating torque (fuel economy)
    The stock 1G good stock hp
    Venom (velocity stack design) loss of some Torque below 2500 (not that big of a deal) but starts running out of breath past 6500
    Magnus (tunnel ram design) Loss of torque below 3000 starts running out of breath past 7500
    BJ's (full open high flow design) this thing is friggin HUGE. Proven to make better HP numbers in the EXTREMELY large airflow area. Only outflows others when running over 30psi. Loss of a good deal of torque below 3500.

Throttle bodies won't have a HUGE difference on the testing because of the size of IC piping. The TB just adds to throttle response. My 4" TB doesn't flow more than your 1G technically because my pipes are only 2.5" BUT it does cause response to improve (transient) because it technically opens faster (25% of a larger TB is more than 25% of a smaller )

5. Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Downloads
    Uploads

is there a way to flow test them off the car? or on an engine dyno only?
    '95 Mitsu GSX
    '06 Nissan Titan SE

6. v413nc3 Guest

They've already been tested... you just gotta know who did it and kiss a lot of butt to get the info I just help by passing it on.

7. They've only sort of been tested and surprise BJs who I got the info from came out on top. I'd much rather a club did the testing where we have nothing to lose. As much as I'd like shops to be impartial, each of them has a manifold to sell and each of them has their own spin on it.

If we test them on the same car, same day etc we will see the differences. I don't know that we can crown a BEST aftermarket intake manifold but we should be able to see how they hold up to their claims on a car that the average (but smart ) DSMer built. I'll volunteer to wrench and provide at least 2 manifolds, mine and friend's homemade and a stock one if we can rig it to my piping for the test. Dave or Jake, want to step up and tune. THis is a lot of work but it'd show the real class of RMDSM. A DSM linked 1g would be great as we could track airflow vs HP

8. Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just as an FYI, there are differences in the NPT ports for the various nipples (brake booster, etc).

You will need to be prepared to plug these and/or extend (if needed) the appropriate hoses.

You will also have to transfer the throttle body from one manifold to another.

You will also need a stack of intake manifold gaskets.

While it would be an interesting test, it certainly will be quite a bit of work.

Changing intake manifolds on a hot motor is a pita.

Finally, you need to establish some ground rules.

1) Will tuning be adjusted as needed to gain the most from each manifold or will they be tested with "no other" changes?

Hal
    - 758/636 uncorrected @ English Racing, Nov 2011

9. v413nc3 Guest

I'd tune if you guys got the stuff together, but wow, that's a lot of work, LoL

And you make very good points Hal, there's a lot of factors that would have to go into it to make it even remotely worth while as a comparative test.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Downloads
    Uploads

why does it have to be done in one day?

first shouldn't we do baseline testing on them? stock motor/turbo/ecu, then try the various manis. after we get a baseline on how they run, then we could try each on a donor car, with tuning ability.

if you could test 2 manis in a weekend, its a start. you could get a couple pulls, go home, let her cool off, then swap the mani for a couple pulls the next day. it should help to keep conditions roughly the same.

just some thoughts
    '95 Mitsu GSX
    '06 Nissan Titan SE

+ Reply to Thread